The stupid shit that happens

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Wait

He always comes in the middle of the night with little warning and just the right amount of nerve in his veins.
She always knows he’s there before the knock. Senses him, smells him, hears the sound of his distinctive pace climbing the cement stairs.

He stands at her door in the dark breathing heavily, the warm night feeling thick in his chest. Leaning his head on his arm against the door, wondering if this time he won’t have to knock.

She sits in the dark waiting for flesh to connect with wood. “He always hesitates”, she thinks to herself, a mischievous grin creeping to her lips. The waiting is almost as exciting as the taste of booze on his lips. “One of these days I won’t answer.”

“One of these days I won't do it”, he mumbles, going through the motion, hesitating, imagining her on the other side, waiting. He stuns himself with a smile every time. Making her wait is almost as exciting as her tiny frame pressing against his.

Three short knocks, as always. Barefoot, she hurriedly tiptoes across the room, waits a few seconds longer then turns the lock.

Hearing the snap commands him to stand tall and move in closer, the tips of his black cowboy boots already crossing the frame.

She swings the door open faster than anticipated. Her white slip glistens under the light.

They both take a breath and apprehension turns to assertion.

“What took you so long."

11 Comments:

Blogger Jaxe said...

OMFG *faints* DeeM that is incredible... like I'm in a burst short story-noir or something. I love the passion, the tease, the wait... My favorite (of many) lines...

She sits in the dark waiting for flesh to connect with wood. so simple, yet about 10 different images went through my mind before I found the correct one. you, my friend, have TALENT.. damn, we've got to get you signed *flips through black book of cheesy, skank agents*

7:56 PM  
Blogger DeeM said...

Awe shucks, Jaxe.
molti molti ringraziamenti il mio buon amico.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath said...

Geez, how come every time I do that I get hit full in the face with a blast from a fire extinguisher? Or the cops tackle me. You know, I always thought nothing says I-love-you like breaking into somebody's apartment and handcuffing myself to the radiator, but man, she didn't even give me a chance to explain myself, and then I can't reach the key, and here come these cops with bolt cutters...

I'm just saying, you should put a warning label on this one. You make it sound so nice, but don't try this at home, guys...

5:23 PM  
Blogger DeeM said...

LOL! Awe, but MO, you seem so harmless. Who could call the cops on you. See, true love doesn't conquer all.

**warning** this is fiction. Men (or Monkeys)... this doesn't really happen or work in RL. Not all the time anyway.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Jaxe said...

Deemer: molti molti ringraziamenti il mio buon amico.
uh, whaaaa ;-) don't make me bust out the translator!

and Monkey O: OMFG! I laughed so hard at this ---> nothing says I-love-you like breaking into somebody's apartment and handcuffing myself to the radiator

Bwahahahahah! Thanks for the idea! Hi Deemer, have a good weekend, bella *hug / strafe*

Kinda due for a new Deem-noir short story... *taps foot*

8:04 AM  
Blogger Daniel Heath said...

HARMLESS? I happen to be highly trained in the devastating martial techniques of the short-armed monkey. I can defeat leopards with my bare hands!

Young leopards, anyway. Small ones. And I've never actually fought a leopared, although I did play with an ocelot once.

So, er, yeah, harmless, I suppose. I even take spiders outside instead of squishing them.

And Jaxe, one word of advice, if you go for the handcuff thing, I recommend pants. It might seem like you just want to go for broken and handcuff yourself, you know, as God made you, but if things go south, trust me, you'll appreciate the added gravitas the pants provide.

9:30 PM  
Blogger DeeM said...

See, I knew it the second I saw that furry face. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

Jaxe: ~DeeM taps foot and folds arms~

1:57 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

oohh wow, love this story. makes me want to read more...will there be more?? great writing.

enjoyed reading the comments :)

11:30 AM  
Blogger DeeM said...

Lorena, I think there will be more. I really enjoy writing this sort of thing, but am just starting to experiment. Thanks so much and have a great Holiday!

7:39 AM  
Blogger CC said...

That’s a very cool and enjoyable read. You capture the entire emotional tension and passion between them. I’m looking forward to more. You got talent girl!

10:23 AM  
Blogger DeeM said...

Hey CC, many thanks! good to see you back. Hope you are doing well.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home